29 May 2012

Weekend and a half

I can't say I've been reminded of what Pentecost is really about. All I know is that Sunday night a lot of beer descended on me and Monday a lot of visitors descended on our village street market. To add to the excitement of the evening, two guys ended up under a table next to ours. Ah, brawling. Keep it classy, Germany.

Yesterday's market saw everyone who runs a stall anywhere in this area come together to sell. When someone gave us the expected visitor numbers early in the day I thought "really?"... but as we were crushing our way back and making some final purchases (fresh strawberries!) I was beginning to see his point. At €5 for a kilo of strawberries I'd do it all again though!

Something else that I didn't expect to be quite as true as it turned out to be was the promise of the "region's spiciest sausages". I'm not a total spice sissy but I only made it one bite in. The man had to work his way through two of those, and that expression on his face isn't smiling or acting, it's a bit of a real spice-gasp. I later went for some much milder Schupfnudeln with cabbage and bacon. Naturally this had to be followed by something I had discovered the night before: chocolate-covered strawberries on a stick! Yum!

In other news we spent the earlier part of the weekend watching Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Captain America: The First Avenger. I also got my rhubarb-baking on with rhubarb apple bread and rhubarb streusel muffins. For the pièce de résistance I plan some rustic rhubarb tarts in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment